Silkie mix

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jamie278, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Jamie278

Jamie278 New Egg

Mar 10, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any ideas what this baby might end up looking like as an adult? Father is white Silkie and mother is either Rhode Island Red or Black Sex Link.

2. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    Are you sure about the silkie as the father? I've found that all of my silkie mixes (I had a white silkie/RIR that was black as a chick, and developed beautiful red lacing on his wings later) have rather disproportionate eye to face size, and had brown/black eyes rather than the chick gray-blue (when viewed at a few weeks or a reflection when close to a light). I've also found the comb to maintain a red-maroon color, present even as a chick. Mine have also all had blue/gray or black beaks and slate or dark legs. Obviously no chickens are the same, but is it possible it's from another rooster?

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I"m also not seeing the Silkie in this chick. No feathers on the legs, no crest, no fifth toe that I can see. those are all dominant traits from a Silkie parent.

4. Jamie278

Jamie278 New Egg

Mar 10, 2017
    Thanks for the responses, everyone! Jellybean is still continue to flourish. Yes, his father is my white Silkie too (only rooster I have). Dad has black skin, beak, 5 toes, etc. very much a Silkie. Now, mom is definitely (after another hatching) my RIR. The last chick hatched during the night and was trampled by the others. I'm still kicking myself. This chick that passed would have passed for a full blooded black Silkie (mom is black Sexlink). This baby was all black, black skin, beak, 5 toes on each foot - absolutely beautiful! I still have additional eggs out there. Hoping for another one like that. Now, my Jellybean is starting to display colors on her wings (white tips with black towards skin)? She has the "cut out" of fluff from around her eyes. I'm pretty excited as this is our first chick to hatch. Looks like I might just have to wait. Oh, Jellybean was the second chick to hatch, only one to survive this far. The first chick had this same yellow with mottled spots coloring, but had 5 toes without the black skin. Isn't that interesting?!

5. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    I always think the genetics with chickens are fun, especially with all of the recessive alleles that surprise you in the offspring. Good luck with your chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by