Silkie mixes of some kind?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MedChicken, Dec 25, 2011.

1. MedChicken

MedChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Virginia (Zone 7)
    Hello all! I have a batch of mystery chicks. The farmer that I bought them from assured me that mom is a silkie, and one of the babies looks like a silkie and is fairly small.

The others, though.... The colors look like silkie colors to me, and some have poof-ball tails, but they have hard wing feathers and some have hard tail feathers.

Is it too soon to tell? They were born 11/29, so they are about 5 weeks old.

Any ideas what these may be?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is the one that looks like a silkie to me, complete with feathered black feet (5 toes), black beak, shredded wings and no comb.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    silkie mixes to soon to tell with what though

3. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    When you breed a silkie to something else they wont take after the silkie. They will have the straight feathers. You would have to breed those babies to a silkie to get back the silkie feathering.

4. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Quote:Yup, silkie feathering is recessive, which means that a silkie crossed with a normal feathered bird would produce normal feathered chicks, but then if you cross those chicks together you'll get silkie feathered chicks. I don't know the specifics (percentage that will be silkie feathered, etc), though [​IMG]

5. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Some kind of silkie mix.

6. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

I think they are silkie somehtng but a little to soon to tell what the somethin is.[​IMG]

7. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    [​IMG] adorable!

8. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

They all look like silkie or similar breed mixes except the one has silkied feathers so both parents were either silkies or both carried the silkie feathered gene (say mom was a full silkie and dad was a silkie cross) I see feathered shanks/legs, darker colored legs, many have a small tuff on the head....all indications of a silkie mix

No telling what color they will be but all the gold and brown stripey looking ones seem like they have the 'wild type' pattern - partridge-ish in nature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by