Silkie, Modern MIx?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jzuhde, Nov 6, 2010.

1. jzuhde

jzuhde Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2010
    Nevada, TX
    I have a silkie splash roo. I also have 4 self blue moderns with no roo. I was thinking of letting my silkie roo and the modern hens breed. Does anyone have any thoughts?
    [​IMG]
    Thanks
    Jen

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    . . . . You'd make mutts. Lots of people do it.

3. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    It might look like a fluffy OEGB [​IMG] , It's hard to tell...
    But like Illia said, you would get mutts, if you just want them as pets and not for show, there's nothin wrong with it. (mutts rule [​IMG] )

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    On the one hand that's such an unlikely cross I'd be interested in seeing the result. On the other hand Self Blue Moderns are so rare I'd rather you went looking for a male.

5. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

You'd have some funny looking long legged mutts! [​IMG]

6. jzuhde

Feb 7, 2010
    Nevada, TX
    I would love to find a male, but I am having a hard time finding one. I am going to order some more in the spring, but until then thought I would try it out [​IMG] Just wondered if anyone had ever tried. If it works out I will post some pics [​IMG]

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Skin would be dark, comb would be walnut, small crest. Partial beard & muffs if the silkie is bearded. Five toes. Feathering would be softer than typical modern hard feathering, but not silkied. Lightly feathered legs & feet.

...< read the question wrong, and so made incorrect assumptions. [​IMG]

I suspect (with absolutely no scientific facts to back it up) that type would be more like modern than like silkie.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  8. jzuhde

Feb 7, 2010
    Nevada, TX
    Thanks for the information [​IMG] I have another question. The moderns were born at the end of April this year and they still have not started laying. Do you think it has taken so long since they did not have a rooster around them? I figured they should be laying by now.[​IMG]

9. Hi! Where would the lemon come from?
    Lisa
    Quote:

10. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    when a bird starts laying depends on the breed. for example my silkies don't start laying until 9-10 months and the LF cochins took 11 months. yours should start soon. I think a silkie modern would be hysterical [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by