Silkie, Modern MIx?

jzuhde

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 7, 2010
Nevada, TX
I have a silkie splash roo. I also have 4 self blue moderns with no roo. I was thinking of letting my silkie roo and the modern hens breed. Does anyone have any thoughts?
hmm.png

Thanks
Jen

It might look like a fluffy OEGB
hu.gif
, It's hard to tell...
But like Illia said, you would get mutts, if you just want them as pets and not for show, there's nothin wrong with it. (mutts rule
woot.gif
)

Last edited:
On the one hand that's such an unlikely cross I'd be interested in seeing the result. On the other hand Self Blue Moderns are so rare I'd rather you went looking for a male.

I would love to find a male, but I am having a hard time finding one. I am going to order some more in the spring, but until then thought I would try it out
smile.png
Just wondered if anyone had ever tried. If it works out I will post some pics
wink.png

Skin would be dark, comb would be walnut, small crest. Partial beard & muffs if the silkie is bearded. Five toes. Feathering would be softer than typical modern hard feathering, but not silkied. Lightly feathered legs & feet.

...< read the question wrong, and so made incorrect assumptions.
hide.gif

I suspect (with absolutely no scientific facts to back it up) that type would be more like modern than like silkie.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information
smile.png
I have another question. The moderns were born at the end of April this year and they still have not started laying. Do you think it has taken so long since they did not have a rooster around them? I figured they should be laying by now.
hmm.png

when a bird starts laying depends on the breed. for example my silkies don't start laying until 9-10 months and the LF cochins took 11 months. yours should start soon. I think a silkie modern would be hysterical
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom