Silkie molting?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Matt0chick0love, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Matt0chick0love

Matt0chick0love Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    Kansas
    We have a white silkie named salt, she has no feathers on her head and neck because a turkey got her, but now all I see are her feathers everywhere, and when I pick her up, more feathers. I thought it was my other silkie peppa that was pulling them out but she's just loosing them.

Is she molting, or something else. Yesterday night I put a few fertile mille fleur eggs under her because the mille fleur was pecking at them like it was food, and I didn't want her to eat them, because she wasnt broody yet. Will salt continue to sit on the eggs, or do the same thing as the mille fleur?

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    If salt is broody, she'll pick her own feathers out to better warm-up the eggs and for moisture. If she stays on the nest for a few days and doesn't come off she's likely broody, she should also poof up when you approach her. Molting starts happening right about this time of the year, later summer-fall so a molt is also possible. Maybe post a video of her?

3. Matt0chick0love

Matt0chick0love Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    Kansas
    Well she's not really picking them out, she's itching herself (I saw a few Mosquitos around her the other day) and she gets feathers in her mouth, and when I pick her up she leaves feathers all over my hands and arms, so right now it could go either way. I just hope she's broody, because we don't have a rooster, and we got the Mille fleur recently, and the day we got her she was with a rooster, so she's laying fertile eggs, and once she's done laying fertile eggs, she's done because our town doesnt allow roosters. We're seeing if we can get lucky and get a few chicks off her, because she has raised chicks before, they were there with her when we picked her up. I definitely appreciate all of the help I can get because we're new to chickens, and especially broody hens. I'll see if I can upload a video off my iPad and onto a computer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by