Silkie mom attacking her chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cribbs74, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Cribbs74

Cribbs74 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2013
    Hello all,

New to the forum! Not new to keeping chickens, but I have never had a hen raise her own chicks. We have a Silkie that has 4 chicks that are almost 6 weeks old. Silkie was a great mom up until a few days ago. She has started to peck and chase off her chicks whenever they come close. I have mom and the chicks housed in a coop with a run to keep them seperate from our free range birds. I was wondering of this is normal? I have let mom out during the day to spend time with adult birds, not sure if she is just feeling cooped up and wanting to get out. When I put her back with the babies she starts attacking them again. Nothing too aggressive just more of a get away from me type aggression (Silkies are not very aggresive anyway)

Another new development is she has started to lay again.

Thanks for any help.

Ron

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Your Silkie might be abandoning her chicks because she's out of her mother hen phase ( because she has started laying eggs).

3. Cribbs74

Cribbs74 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2013
    Thanks Veer,

It appears that this is normal behavior. I guess I will let her out during the day. I har her out th whole day today and she would stop by the run and check out the chicks for a few minutes then graze for a while. She went back in this evening and was fine with the chicks being around. I appreciate the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by