1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie mom in Alabama

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by silkiemomma42, Mar 6, 2013.

1. silkiemomma42

silkiemomma42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    parrish, alabama
    Hello all! My name is Jin and I am incredibly excited to finally have ability to join this forum. While I have been a reader of this forum for nearly a year, my family and I just became actual chicky parents. My husband, 8 month old son and I just added 11 beautiful black(though 3 appear a little silver) silkie chicks to our homestead. We are on year 3 of an all organic garden and have wanted to add livestock into the mix for quite some time. I studied nearly every thread on here during my pregnancy, and now that winter is over and Cedar is older I feel I can devote time to my new love, chickens! A bird watcher for years, but never a bird owner has its difficulties. However, I am thrilled and in love with these sweet little peeps. I look forward to adding to our flock. We have constructed a large coop and are working on about half a dozen chicken tractors. I look forward to sharing our growing experiences with everyone here! If you are near the Birmingham area in Alabama a special hello to you neighjors! A thank you to everyone for being truly welcoming and genuinely excited to share fowl knowledge!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]welcome to the flock, Silkies tend to go broody often - some people get them just to use instead of incubators.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  5. silkiemomma42

Mar 5, 2013
    parrish, alabama
    thank you thank you! I had heard that about silkies. I was thinking if using them as little incubators! We want to add more laying intensive breeds later this spring. :) need it to be a fairly gentle breed so the silkies don't get bullied.

6. silkiemomma42

Mar 5, 2013
    parrish, alabama
    thank you! I have visited the Alabama link and have already met a silkie breeder leaps and bounds closer to the house than where we got our initial peeps. :)

7. Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. Congrats and enjoy. :thumbsup

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]
    my large fowl hens were super mean to my poor Silkies so I had to re-home them poor babies.

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by