Silkie mutt with weird black spots?!?!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by victoriamb, Nov 7, 2016.

1. victoriamb

victoriamb Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2015
    I have a nine month old Silkie who has black spots all over him even on his eyeball I first noticed them the day after I got him he was two weeks old then and they didn't seem to effect him in anyway I'm really just curious

2. victoriamb

Mar 30, 2015
    [​IMG]

3. victoriamb

Mar 30, 2015
    [​IMG]

4. Nksg75

Nksg75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2014
    I see no one has replied yet. I wish I could give you a educated answer, however I also have a silkie mix that has some of that splotchy black skin. It's not as noticeable on my silkie mix though. In my case it seems to be under the feathers on its body. The only way I know it's even there is because the chick is a white silkie mix. I just thought it was pigmentation from both parents. I am under the impression that pure bred silkies will have black skin, and I have pure silkie who do. Then any mixes that hatch seem to have either white skin, or splotchy black.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    is the bird cuckoo? If so, the barring gene is inhibiting dark skin. And the bird may be lacking two copies of the Fm gene that causes black skin, also making it lighter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by