Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Storm

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Silkie Keeper 7

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 17, 2014
Hey everyone, I was thinking about choosing names for my chickens because I'm getting tired of calling them chicken 1 and chicken 2 and so on, but I can't think of any names. Would any of you guys have good suggestions as to what names I should call them. And if there are a lot of names I will choose the best 4 that I think are appropriate and post it on here. By the way they are white silkies and there might be 3 roosters and 1 hen or 2 roosters and 2 hens. So I would like it if you guys could come up with great name suggestions.
big_smile.png

For the poll I have 3 hens and 1 rooster so I would only like for everyone to vote 4 times. 3 times for the hens and 1 time for the rooster please.

Last edited:
My granddaughter names our hens after Disney princesses. We have Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Briar Rose, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Mulan, Tiana, Pocahontas, Rapunzel, Meridah, Elsa, Anna, etc. I tend to lose track of whose who. :eek:) Of course you only have one or two hens, but that is something you should correct as the recommended ratio of hens to roosters is 10 hens for every 1 rooster. Too many roosters (even in gentle breeds like Silkies) can be very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and even potentially, seriously injuring them. Even if your roosters aren't creating any problems yet, they almost certainly will as they mature more. You should either thin down to one rooster or get a lot more hens. Good luck in naming your chickens.

My granddaughter names our hens after Disney princesses. We have Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Briar Rose, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Mulan, Tiana, Pocahontas, Rapunzel, Meridah, Elsa, Anna, etc. I tend to lose track of whose who. :eek:) Of course you only have one or two hens, but that is something you should correct as the recommended ratio of hens to roosters is 10 hens for every 1 rooster. Too many roosters (even in gentle breeds like Silkies) can be very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and even potentially, seriously injuring them. Even if your roosters aren't creating any problems yet, they almost certainly will as they mature more. You should either thin down to one rooster or get a lot more hens. Good luck in naming your chickens.

P.S. I almost forgot to say, welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can.

Thanks for the names. I was thinking that if I had 2 hens, because 1 I'm not sure if it is a rooster or hen, then I would name both of them Anna and Elsa as well.

We've got Disney princesses too. Silkies, especially, are just so pretty we couldn't resist princess names.

Here's Snow White

and Rapunzel

and Mary Poppins (I know she's not a princess, but she's awesome, so sue me :)

Obviously, ours are too young to know for sure if they're boys or girls, but, as sourland pointed out, we've been optimistic and given them girl names.

Back
Top Bottom