Silkie- not eating.what haven't I done?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jjaazzy, Aug 23, 2014.

1. jjaazzy

jjaazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    I have been nursing a sick Silkie and it just keeps getting worse. I have been syringing water with poultry drench. Tried worming, watermelon, ear of corn, egg, yogurt, Gatorade. What I could syringe I did, and offered the other and nothing. Sometimes it see her pecking at the scrambled egg but certainly this little girl just refuses to eat and now is extremely skinny. Each day I assume will be her last. What have I missed. She is 6 months old.

2. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    whats her poop like?
    I would make up a mash of growers pellets/ chick crumble and then later some mushed up soaked cat biscuits. Sadly if she is really weak then she maybe to far gone. Also have you considered coccidiosis ?

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You could treat for coccidiosis with Corid and and maybe an antibiotic like Baytril. Did you worm her with Safeguard or Valbazen? If not, you could try that. You should also look into tube feeding fluids, then fluids mixed with baby bird food. Tubing won't cure her, but it will buy you more time to figure out what's making her sick.

Tubing info:https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

-Kathy

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  4. jjaazzy

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    Thanks guys, her poop is tan not really any solids cause she hasn't eaten in so long. She is super week today, I am going to look into the tube feeding I don't think its cocki cause I have other birds and they are fine. I did loose one about 2 months ago but that one went really fast just spotted it leaning on the side walls and didn't think too much of it and it was dead the next day. All other birds were fine I figured it couldn't take the heat outside and that is what I thought was going on here. This bird has hung on a long time I just don't know why she refuses to eat.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post a picture of it's poop?

-Kathy

6. jjaazzy

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    Hi Casportpony, yes I will... thank you for trying to help us. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That last one was from a few days ago and to tell ya the truth she might have rubbed her face there..... I can't remember. but the first one is poop and you can see there really isn't anything there. Everyone else is happy and healthy around here with no signs of disease.

7. jjaazzy

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    Ok I can't believe it this bird is still alive and fighting. I am syringing Gatorade and I put a few drops of poultry drench into it. I think this stuff is a miracle. Last night I took some amoxicillin and gave a dose last night and this morning incase we are dealing with an infection. I am going to go pick up some pepto and use that too. I noticed a horrible smell coming from the bird and maybe that is something in the gut... I mixed up some Greek yogurt with water and syringed some of that down too. I am going to go and get the tube but I am having some luck with the syringe I might just continue with that. Anyone have any other suggestions. anyway to get some protein down with the syringe. I was thinking of liquid egg yolk but wasn't sure....... suggestions welcome!

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Baby bird food. It would be so much easier with a tube and I'm available by phone to coach you through the process.

-Kathy

9. jjaazzy

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    Hi Kathy, I went out today and got baby bird food and in my area was not able to get a catheter because you need a prescription what I did get was a rubber hose that is 1/4 " wide with opening in the middle it looks like macaroni, if that makes any sense. Then I got something else called self cath...hey.... I just now opened it and this looks promising. It is tapered down on one end and larger on other for filling.. two tiny holes at the small end of this...... oh says pediatric on it...... I think I am in business here.

Ok stupid question I guess, but how many routes are in the throat of the chicken just one? And being it is a silkie should I guess how far to push this thing by judging on a similar size bird.

Should I lube up the plastic probe with Vaseline........ the plastic feels like air hose from a fish tank.........

ok let me know when my husband gets home from work I guess we will try it............ poor bird......

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Read this from:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/920145/tube-feeding-mishap#post_14004651

post #5 of 7
    15 hours, 43 minutes ago

As a veterinarian, the most important single thing is to know you have the crop tube in the crop before you start. This means that most crop tubing should be a two-person operation. (I have done it by myself with the bird and I both backed into a corner, but neither of us found it much fun).

One person holds the bird firmly by the feet and makes sure the wings cannot get free. The "tuber" should have everything ready to go. Ideally, you should take a length of tube (it can be as small as IV tubing or aquarium air tubing), and in advance, run it alongside the bird from about mid-crop up the neck and give it 2-3" more after it would exit the bird's mouth. Mark that with a black marker so you know that's right about where you want to be when you start adding liquid--not lower, not higher. Attach a feeding or large volume syringe (I use a 30 cc, because for impactions, you don't want to go nuts on volume anyway).

Once the holder is set, pretend you have three or four hands, and hold the bird's wattle and the tubing/syringe in your right hand. I use my left hand (am right handed) to open up the top beak. You want excellent lighting so you can SEE the trachea, which will be at the base of the tongue, and the trachea will open and close as the bird breaths. You want to go to the right of the trachea with the tubing as far as practical until you see your black mark about 2-3" from the bird's beak. Your holder continues to hold, and now you try to hold the tubing in the right position then start to slowly add material from the syringe. Wait to hear a cough after the first little bit. If no cough, proceed slowly. Don't rush.

When finished, pinch the tubing in half and remove it quickly so as little as possible is left in the bird's mouth, especially when it contains oil.

A bird with a large, water balloon crop may need SUCTION first before attempting anything else if you suspect sour crop or impaction. DO NOT turn the bird upside down. You can try to drain some material by holding the bird's chest on your knee, and pointing it downward toward a container. You may or may not get any material. Stop every several seconds to let the bird catch a breath so it does not aspirate (breath in the bad stuff). My last impacted hen's stuff was too dry, so I got nothing out.

Some people suggest coconut oil to lubricate an impaction. I can't speak to this personally. I used half/half olive oil and water, first 20-30 cc on Day 1, and only 10 cc total on Day 2. 30 cc is about an ounce.

The warnings above are good ones. Massage (for impaction) is important, but if the crop is watery, be very gentle and only massage the bottom near the gizzard. You can accidentally squeeze enough liquid up the esophagus to cause the bird to aspirate if there is too much liquid in there. An aspirated bird can easily become a dead bird, especially if they are already stressed.

Hope this helps!
    Dr. Mary, DVM
    Medical information is of a general nature only, and does not create a client/patient/doctor relationship. Always confer with your own veterinarian in matters concerning the health of your flock.
    -- English Orpingtons, American Orpingtons, Australorps, RIR, Brahma, Ameracauna --
    --Available to perform PT testing for shows and NPIP Certification--

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by