Silkie not eating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by seminolewind, Nov 21, 2010.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have a 9 month old silkie who was standing next to the waterer all day, and I felt her crop and it was full of water and she was real thin. I put her in another coop with her sister, but she just picks around the feeder on the floor.
    Nobody is sick
    She acts normal except for the not eating.
    she's been wormed, and treated for cocci just in case, and a month ago treated preventatively for lice and mites
    I trimmed her bangs, and she's more active but still not eating.
    Her crop is empty
    She's passing that small lime green poo (not eating).
    she's not weak or listless
    She has 2 little feeders, and a plate of bread/applesauce/oil/egg/crumbles-mush.

I just don't know what to do or why she's doing this. Has anyone have this happen ?

2. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Anyone?

3. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    I would try some yogurt ............maybe a shot in the dark but my peeps go nuts for the stuff

4. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    i noticed the same problem with 1 of my silkies today so i sat it down next to scratch (my dad made an automatic feeder for deer which we usually fill with scratch and chickens eat alot of it) and he ate it off the ground like it was going out of style but would not eat out of feeder for some reason

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Try some scrambled eggs to give her. [​IMG]

6. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Silkydragon, mine does that too. She stares at the food on the plate, but if some drops off the plate she makes a dive for it. I wonder why. I had another hen like that, but she eats out of a dish now because I put her in with 2 bantams. With the silkie, it's almost like she reverted back to chick where like mom drops crumbles for her chicks, still don't know why.

Jen, eggs were a good idea. In fact I made her french toast this morning and she gobbled it down-off a plate! It was just too tempting! I guess I'll try other things and see what she'll eat. I guess some chickens can be weird, but I had one a few months ago, an orp that actually starved to death before I saw what was going on-she was a very fluffy big bird. I cried my eyes out.

Cristina, I'll buy some yogurt-you're right, it is very tempting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by