silkie not going up to hen house

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bethsplace, Nov 21, 2011.

1. bethsplace

bethsplace Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    this is the first time I have owned a silkie I have a hen and rooster who have not learned to go back up into the hen house at night to roost they stay in a corner of the pen and sleep on ground. I try to teach them by putting them up at night and they do find their way down in the morning but wont go back up and she 7 months old and not laying and I am 99% sure she is a pullet no comb and not crowing and smaller then my silkie rooster. any suggestions? can silkies not walk up a gang plank does anyone else have this problem its getting cold here.

2. JenniferNgo

JenniferNgo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Texas
    Mine did the exact same thing!! I no longer have silkies but I would love to hear what others have done about this...you know..in case i get a hankerin' for a silkie again [​IMG]

3. Blueicebird

Blueicebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    My Silkie does not like roosting either. She lays in the nest boxes, but she isn't laying and she was born 10 months ago. I am not sure if it is normal, but I know i'm sick of waiting for her to lay! >.<

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I would make sure that your ramp is really wide. I'd read that silkies didn't do ramps well, so I made mine about 10 inches wide, with "rungs" or grips every two inches or so. Also, make sure the ramp is not steep...long and gently sloping are best. If you have that in place, then begin training them with bits of shredded cheese or some other tasty treat dribbled up the ramp.
    Something else to try is a small light inside the housing to lure them up at night. Lit areas generally appear safer.

5. bethsplace

bethsplace Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    thanks for your advice i thought about her not liking the ramp i dont think i want to change it, it has rungs med steep i think i will get rid of extra silkie rooter who stays down with her and try training her and maybe put a nesting box downstairs for her maybe she would start laying down there

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by