1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie not laying, now acting sick

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shannaben8, Mar 14, 2017.

1. shannaben8

shannaben8 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2016
    I have a 32 week old silkie that has never crowed or later. I assume she is female, she is very small. I have wondered why she hasn't layedone yet, but now when I went out earlier, she is moving like she's drunk. Not running from me like normal. I saw her later drinking and so I'm sure she's eating. Everyone else seems fine. My husband went to check on her tonite and she was laying in the nesting box. He went to help her up to the roost and she threw up on him. I am assuming she is sick, but wondered if they can have issues laying and have these symptoms?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I had a young RIR that never layed or I do not think she did. She never acted sick, even though she had a serious problem I later learned. She was egg bound---extremely egg bound. She got heavier and heavier because her body was holding in the eggs she was producing---busted egg shells, then seemed no shells were being made just yolks. She walked like a penguin got so heavy she could barely walk---I put her down---she was Loaded with egg yolks----probably 35 to 50. BUT Again she never acted sick and eat all the time.

Your hen sounds sick. I would examine her for weight, bugs/lice. If she is extremely light---all bones on her breast-----she could be loaded with worms? If her weight feels ok she just might be sick and needs a boost-----if so """I""" would start giving her some tylan50 for a few days. I give tylan to mine oral and have good results.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  3. shannaben8

shannaben8 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2016
    Ok thanks so much for the advice. She is still alive this morning so I'm glad for that, still moving slow tho.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by