1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickeydee, Nov 24, 2009.

1. chickeydee

chickeydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    [​IMG] Hi there . I have a Silkie hen that is about 5 months old and not laying yet . Can someone tell me how old they have to be . I would love to know ,so I can start to have little ones .Thanks a lot and god bless .

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  2. bigtooks

bigtooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Norwalk, Ohio
    It could take six months before she starts laying.

3. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    Mine just started last Thursday-she is 8-months-old. [​IMG] It could be a while yet.

4. chickeydee

chickeydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Thanks a lot . I have a rooter with her so I was hoping to get them soon ,but I can wait . I love this forum and the good people on it .[​IMG]

5. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    You are welcome! [​IMG]
    Silkies are late layers. It is well worth the wait though! I have gotten an egg every other day from her, and they are going in the incubator. Good luck!

6. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Depends on where you got them. Hatchery silkies usually start laying before ones from a breeder. I have a few that are 9 months old and just starting to lay.....[​IMG]

7. sephiroth

sephiroth Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2009
    Silkies don't lay -- they brood!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by