Silkie novice seeks advice please

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cat, Feb 12, 2009.

1. cat

cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    I have been given a white Silkie by a friend who is moving house. This is the first Silkie I have had, she soooo cute and my other hens have accepted her straight away!

My first question is, since they have blue/black skin is there any way to tell when they are ready to lay?

My second is, do they roost? She insists on making a nest on the floor and has even convinced a fat Brahma to sit with her and keep her warm!

My third question is, I have heard Silkies have some sort of mind control ability, could this be why I am suddenly dreaming of buying Silkie eggs on Ebay?

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    My silkie roos will roost on the second rung of the low perches along with the younger birds, but NEVER up high since they cannot fly. My Showgirl roosts on the lowest perch... it's barely off the floor.

And yes, they are using mind control to make you purchase more Silkies... part of their plan for world domination! [​IMG]

3. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    My white Silky absolutely will not roost. My blue/black will roost up to the highest perch with the big gals. She flies from one roost to the other till she gets where she wants, and she is even smaller than my white one. Neither one uses the nest box though. Mind control? I wondered what was wrong with Me....lol.[​IMG]

4. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    My silkies have special roosts - a foot off the ground. All my other birds roost about 4.5 ft. up.
    Yes, silkies do have special powers. I have plans to expand a large brooder area into a silkies only resort!

5. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    My Silkie chose a large plastic frog for her roost - My roo is happy to sleep on the ground in a pile of hay.

I was a little harder for the mind control = they worked me for 3 months in the feed store before I packed up a cage and went to get them [​IMG]

6. cat

cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    ok, so I am now controlled by a little cottonwool pouff ball with legs, and I have piled some straw in for a nest and lowered a roost just in case she wants to jump up, and I am seriously thinking of buying her a friend or two... but how can you tell when they are going to lay? Do their little combs go bluer?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by