1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie off balance Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mshuey1, Oct 10, 2011.

1. mshuey1

mshuey1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    San Antonio
    I have a silkie that was doing great and how she seems off balance and has a crooked neck. Am thinking she was pecked by a big roo that jump the over to get to there pen. I've been giving her water but if she drinks to much she opens her mouth like she can't breath. What do you think?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Poor hen. Do a search on this sight for wry neck and read about the symptoms to see if they match what you are seeing. Silkies are susceptible to this condition, but I have read threads in the past that reported nursing the chicken back to health.

3. mshuey1

mshuey1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    San Antonio
    scratch'n'peck :

Poor hen. Do a search on this sight for wry neck and read about the symptoms to see if they match what you are seeing. Silkies are susceptible to this condition, but I have read threads in the past that reported nursing the chicken back to health.

Thank-you have u ever given your ckens b vitamins.​

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I haven't given my chickens vitamins other than the water soluble multivitamin powder sold in some feed stores. I know those threads on wry neck discuss supplementation. I haven't treated one of my chickens for wry neck though.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by