1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie/Onagadori/Phoenix mix...cockerel or little pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Alycia, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Alycia

Alycia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Heyyyy everyone, I was wondering if you could possibily help me identify whether this is a little man or a little lady? It's mother is a blue Silkie/Onagadori cross that looks well like a feathered Silkie, and it's father I believe is one of my Silver Phoenix roosters because it has those little Phoenix Zorro masks on it's face [​IMG] It was hatched in early November of this year so I don't know if it is too soon to tell. My senses tell me it a male, but I dunno. Any help is appreciated and if you find yourself interested in this little bugger, I am considering putting he or she up on the boards for sale when he or she feathers out completely...Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    looks girly to me. BTW Onagadori & pheonix are not the same thing

3. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

I could tell quite early which of my silkie crosses were male and female, and my neighbor's crosses are the same way (a total of 6 chickens, so that's not a huge control group! [​IMG]) I think yours is pullet.

4. Alycia

Mar 16, 2008
    I never said Onagadori and Phoenix are the same thing >.< :| But yeah, thanks for your opinion. I'm liking these opinions...Hoping for a girl but knowing my luck, it'd be a boy [​IMG] Thanks punky and Lisser [​IMG]

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Do you have a pic of the "Onagadori" parent? There are no try Onags in the US, just desendants from the few roosters that were giving to the US by Japan a few years ago. There are a few breeders with longtail non molters calling their birds American Onagadori, but still, true Onags are a Japanese breed.

I also think yours is a pullet though.

6. Alycia

Mar 16, 2008
    Yeah, the hen's father was just a descendant, not the true real deal. The guy I got the eggs off of with the cross explained it all to me up front. I don't have the picture of this chicks's grandfather but I do have a picture of her mother.

Unfortunately this picture doesn't show her right up close, this is last summer.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the help. Pullet is what I was hoping for! [​IMG]

7. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I say pullet too [​IMG] Congrats, she's very cute [​IMG]

8. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:OK That makes sense and the picture does back it up, she has a nice long tail for a hen. Good luck and enjoy your cute little pullet !!!! [​IMG]

9. chrisf

chrisf Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    Hi Alycia, long time no hear. Hope college went well........Here is an old picture of the Grandparent of your first blue silkie mix.....I cant believe you still have them, it's been years!.................................Folks get very touchy when one uses the breed: Onagadori......Looks like a pullet for sure too.......................Chrisf[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  10. Alycia

Mar 16, 2008
    It sure has been years! [​IMG] She and the others I hatched from the eggs I received from you will be I believe 3 years old in April. They are such wonderful pets. Thanks a lot for posting the picture and thanks everyone for your help! I'm so glad it's most likely a little girl.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by