Silkie or Frizzle Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lemondsm, Oct 10, 2011.

1. lemondsm

lemondsm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Yulee, FL
    I have read several threads about silkie genetics which sounds impossible to determine unless you know the history.

Now I have the following in the same pen: Columbian Silkie Roo
    Splash Silkie Roo

Buff Silkie Hen
    Black Frizzle Bantam Cochin Hen

My buff hen is currently sitting on ten or so eggs (from both girls)

My question is when the silkie roo and the frizzle hen have chicks they will not all be frizzle (based on what I have been reading).....so what would they look like if they do not come out frizzle? Would they have silkie feathers?

The reason I ask this question is I had 4 chicks (all black) hatch from these two hens in the beginning of September. When they were really tiny (the first week) two definitely looked frizzle and two appeared to be silkie. I was hoping to sell the frizzles and keep the full blooded silkies. Now 3 look like silkies and only one looked frizzle (I have already found him a home) My concern is that if the chicks from the silkie and frizzle weren't all frizzles could I mistake them for a silkie? I just haven't found a home yet for my frizzle otherwise this wouldn't be a problem if I only had silkies.

Any help?

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    they babies well be frizzled or have regular feathers

3. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:and u u well know if there not silkies with in a couple days

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have a lot of smooth feathered Sizzles and Frizzles. Check out my website under Breeds and follow the links.
    I built my own breeding pens from 2 years of breeding and am still working on them.

5. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    my freind has cool looking naked neck sizzle

6. lemondsm

Aug 9, 2010
    Yulee, FL
    So, if they do not turn out frizzle or sizzle the chicks should have normal feathers not silkie feathers?

Well, the three I currently have are around 6 weeks old. If I can get some decent pictures of them do you think you would be able to tell if they are full blooded silkies?

7. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:we should be able to post them on silkie thrread

8. lemondsm

Aug 9, 2010
    Yulee, FL
    Okay so I shouldn't post them here? The silkie thread, what section is it under? How could I reference this thread so everyone can see what I posted?

Thank you for your help.

9. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:it under the breed gentic show

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Personally I would say to post them here. The silkie thread has so much chit chat that things can get lost pretty rapidly in hte "isn't my little chicky adorable" answered by many "OOH, AAH"s

If the cochin is pure cochin, none of her offspring will have silkie feathering. If she is already a generation or two into breeding sizzles, she may carry a copy of h, the silkie feathering gene, in whihc case about half her offspring will inherit it. Cochins have yellow skin, so if any of the offspring have yellow or greenish skin, they are likely parented by the cochin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by