Silkie or no silkie?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Prisserbabe, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    Hello I need your help on making up my mind. I have the choice on getting a silkie (probaly a chick) Silkies are my favorite breed and they are so cute I love them! But If I get 1 silkie chick then it has to live in a box in the house, doesn't it? And it will probaly need a companion in the box as well so then I would need to get another chick. And will my flock of 8 even except her in? I don't know what to do. :l Thanks for you suggestion! [​IMG]

2. Prisserbabe

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    8. No Bumping or Cross-posting topics. Bumping is posting to move a thread up on the forum list, and cross-posting is posting the same thread in several forums.​

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2011
  3. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Somebody will respond 9 minutes aint enough

So your getting her as a chick? If a chick they need buddies so lotsofchickies!

If your getting her as a juvenile she should fit in they will fight at first but that is ok, they are establishing the pecking order

4. Prisserbabe

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    Bump??? [​IMG]

thekid, ok thank you!

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    As a chick it will need to be in a brooder until it feathers out. You will need at least two chicks to keep each other company and they can share the brooder. I have silkies in a pen with other bantams, as well as a seperate pen for my buffs. I have found that silkies do okay in a flock of full size hens, but full size roosters can beat up the silkie hens so I seperate the silkies out. You will want to go slow with the integration process until the silkies are full grown if you have aggressive hens in your flock.

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    And FYI- bumping is forbidden on BYC. Just be patient. Someone will come answer eventually.

7. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:bump is when somebody posts the word bump to help that person get to the top of the list so somebody can see it. If nobody responds withing 2 days just say

Anyone???? [​IMG]

8. Prisserbabe

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    Oh sorry i didnt know :l I get impatient easily [​IMG] SOOO i should get a silkie!!! [​IMG] and i wont be having any roosters so i dont have to worry about them.

9. Prisserbabe

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    Is there anything special you need to do with silkies? or just treat them like any other chickens?

10. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Quote:Some people bathe them, but other than that, just treat 'em like normal chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by