Silkie or Orpington

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kerry2017, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Kerry2017

Kerry2017 New Egg

Feb 11, 2017
    Canada
    I know they are very different in size which I'm not concerned about. Does anyone have a preference for a backyard coop between these two breeds?

2. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    Orpingtons will lay a lot more and a lot bigger eggs, and are better in the cold, they are also a little better suited for free range. In my opinion silkies definitely look a lot better looking and are a little more docile.

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

That depends on your purpose. Eggs, meat, breeding, just for fun... How many are you able to or wanting to keep?

I have both Silkies and Orpington. Both are good birds with very different attributes.

My silkies free range fine. But they are among a flock of 50 ish so there are lots of other birds looking out for predators. Silkies are smaller and lay smaller eggs.... but they also eat less and take up less space. So it really is a fair trade. But how often they lay can depend on the line. And while it's my understanding that some don't lay until 8 months, mine were laying by 6.

I would be surprised if you could get silkies sexed, so might need a plan B for cockerels. All 3 of mine have been broody already. 1 is even raising chicks right now. [​IMG] They are easy to catch because they are short and can't fly that well. This is a plus for the friendly factor. The eggs I get are small in size, but not like quail eggs.

My Orpinton are good. Some friendly, others not too much. Kinda bossy in the flock. I have Lavender and Buff. My hatchery buff went broody already once as well.

Why not get both? I love having a mixed flock of many different breeds. Makes for great eye candy that my neighbors appreciate when they drive by and specifically told me they like the variety. Also, it helps to know who's laying and will be able to tell if someone is having issues easier if you can identify who the funky egg came from or who hasn't laid like they usually do. Plus I feel like a big kid again when I get to be surprised by what color eggs I get everyday! [​IMG] Here is an example..
    [​IMG]
    The whitish looking one is a silkie egg.

Easter Eggers, though you didn't ask... are always docile or not human aggressive. Some are friendly while others are flighty. But you can see how much fun it is to add their color to the mix. [​IMG]

It's hard to make decisions like that. So best to beware of chicken math! My family of 3 started with 3... then I caught the bug, and we are up to 56 including 11 chicks I won't be keeping. But I haven't yet got some of the breeds I am still very curious about.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by