1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie/orpington chicks just hatched, need advice.(URGENT)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Golden the Bantam, May 6, 2011.

1. Golden the Bantam

Golden the Bantam Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2010
    My most anticipated silkie buff orpington chicks have hatched (I DID IT!!!!!! YES!!!!) they are in a dog crate, pretty good size, with shavings and a hay nest. layer pellets for Virgil (Mother) and water. If i leave her to the chicks will she take care of them, with the exception of me providing chick feed? do i need to put them under a heat lamp? that wouldn't be much trouble because of the chicks i got a week ago from my pet chicken. Is it natural for Virgil to sill sit on the chicks for warmth? will the chicks get up and walk around? i will try to post pics later, but right now i need advice, and remember, Shaving floor, hay nest, large dog crate. Please post anything you feel will be helpful, don't hesitate please.

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Quote:Ok, remember: Chickens have been doing this since before we humans even knew they existed. Momma hen will sit on them, and this will keep them warmer and safer than any heat lamp. Looks like you have a great set up! Post pics ASAP!
    As for feed, provide starter and take away the layer. Layer feed can injure or kill baby chicks, whose systems are unable to cope with all the stuff in layer.

3. Golden the Bantam

Golden the Bantam Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2010
    Thanks, i was just skeptical because a dog crate might not be the best inclosure, and it doesn't get much light. There are three chicks and one in the process of hatching. These eggs don't look to good, do you think they will hatch?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the chicks in the nest. one is older than we realized and is dry, but the other two just hatched around 3:00 this afternoon. also, Virgil sitting on the nest and my setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are now five chicks, and one in the hatching process.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  4. Morag

Morag Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2010
    Moniaive Scotland
    Looks like a good set up and a great mum. Hope all goes well.

5. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    those eggs look OK, just kinda poopy. is mom sitting on them or are they under an incubator?

6. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Mama will take care of them. She will sit on them whenever they get cold and want to get under her. As they get older, she will sit on them less, and teach them everything they need to know. Broody mamas are great...and they really save the electric bill!

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  7. ihavechicks

ihavechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Cypress Inn, TN
    I had 9 eggs that looked just like that & two days ago, they all hatched. This was my first broody as well & I was terrified that she wouldn't take care of them. So far, she has turned out to be the best mama. She is doing exactly what wbruder17 is saying. It is great having a broody! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by