1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie owners - - Gender and color please.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sylviaanne, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    I bought this chick from Alan at Hartland and it is supposed to be a blue or blue splash. Someone just a few days ago told me the name is just Blue, not blue splash. I might have gotten that name mixed up with the blue or blue splash Cochin but I thought that he said the Cochin was Blue. You can click on the pictures to make them bigger.

I bought this one on 7/5, making it 5 weeks old. These pictures were taken today.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As long as I have everyone's attention, what color is this baby going to be when it grows up? This one was hatched in my incubator 7/9. These pictures were also taken today.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

These are some older pictures of the dark baby above, ummmm, maybe 2 weeks ago?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Sylviaanne

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    Not even one guess?

3. julesisthehen

julesisthehen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    No guesses on gender, but the first one looks more white or splash or painted. If it were blue, it would look like the third pictures right now. The second one looks black to me. I suggest posting more pictures in a week or two, and it will be a little easier to tell.

4. Sylviaanne

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    Could it be Porcelain?

The dark one is a Silkie/Cochin mix. The breeder is not sure what color it will turn out.
    Thank you.

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    The first looks white. The second dark blue. Too early to tell sex.

6. Sylviaanne

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    Can one that looks white as a baby, turn out to be blue when fully grown?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by