1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie owners.....need advice/guidance on coop interior.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by arockkid, May 22, 2011.

1. arockkid

arockkid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Buffalo NY
    The coop interior is about 5.5wx8lx8h...I really need advice to do the interior. Literally, top to bottom. It's easy to find pics for 'regular' chickens, but not so much for lower flying, non-roosting birds.

They're only about 7 weeks, and can jump/fly about 18", and they do actually like to roost, for the most part, so, now what? I want to make the most out of the space available and was thinking about incorporating some ramps with different levels to 'hang out' like a big ol' chicken playground, but if they won't care less, then I won't bother.
    So....HELP!

2. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

In my expirience ....which has only been a yr or so now....but some silkies like to roost yet some like to make a silkie pile on the floor to sleep...

3. CheekyChooks

CheekyChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Doncaster
    Mine like the silkie pile up in a corner ... while my other chickens roost unless they are cold and then they join them on the floor. I just make a nice soft bed for them. I'm not sure about the playground aspect other than making them some nice beds to lay on. In the run I add branches and stuff for them to play with ... like a sand bath etc ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by