Silkie ... Paint to Paint chick??

DellaNTuff

Chirping
May 17, 2018
Hello!

I hatched out some silkies and they were "paint silkies" the pictures of parents were white with black spots. All my chicks are yellow with no visible black and this guy.
What color would he be?
20180715_223745_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
They are purchased eggs. I have been reading on Google that paint to paint does not breed true and gives you non SOP birds as they are light/white skinned as most the yellow ones are I hatched, this guy has the black skin.

Hello!

I hatched out some silkies and they were "paint silkies" the pictures of parents were white with black spots. All my chicks are yellow with no visible black and this guy.
What color would he be? View attachment 1470139

The Paint color pattern in Silkies is based on the known "Erminette" pattern, that is an Extended Black diluted by heterozygous Dominant White, the genotype is E/E, Ml/Ml, I/i+, they don't breed true, that is if you cross two Paint or Erminette patterned breeds you get 50% Paint/Erminette, 25% all black and 25% all white, from your descriptions of your chicks you got, it would appear that the all yellow chicks you got will be all white and the partridge looking chick you got confirms that the "Paint" breeding pair from where these chicks hatched are heterozygous for the eb partridge e allele and not pure for the Extended black e allele(E/E) as they should, but E/eb I/i+ birds most of the times are indistinguishable from E/E I/i+ paint/Erminette.

I posted a very detailed info on the Erminette(same as paint) pattern on this post if you would like to read more on it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...uge-task-ahead.1252593/page-159#post-20210036

From the information I have gotten from other Paint breeders it is not uncommon to get partridge chicks in paint breeding, I was confused my first hatch to. I have also had chicks hatch that I thought were all white (yellow fluff) only to have spots start appearing a day or 2 later. I have also had chicks hatch out with chipmunk stripes (like yours) that feather in mostly black with silver or gold leakage.
Most breeders try to put paint to black (preferably with silver leakage) and rarely paint to paint because it caused more pigment holes giving pink in feet, light eyes, comb ect.

Back
Top Bottom