Silkie panting, shivering, and not eating much!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ich-knut, Oct 3, 2009.

1. ich-knut

ich-knut Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    My 3 months old white silkie bantam is not eating much. She'll eat a few grains of rice or a few nips of yogurt and stop. She often opens her beak and flap her tongue. I have seen her and others do it during hot days but haven't seen any of them do it on a consistent basis. She's been lethargic too. Her poop is normal brownish poop. I can feel her shivering when I hold her. Does she have an infection?

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    not sure about infection, but a couple things that will help, give her a couple drops of polyvisol liquid baby vitamins, is she drinking ok? i know others will have more suggeestions- but silkies tend to get vitamin deficiencies-

3. ich-knut

Aug 5, 2009
    She normally doesn't drink that much water. I supplement their feed with crushed (into fine powder) women's daily vitamin. I have started giving her yogurt again.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I am not sure how much of hte vitamin you are giving, but if it is a whole tablet, is almost certainly too much. Why a women's vitamin?

5. ich-knut

Aug 5, 2009
    I usually use 1 tablet per 1/2 lb of feed. And these chicks usually end up wasting half of their food. Women's daily vitamin is the one I take. And they are female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by