Silkie parents?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by desertgirl, Sep 25, 2009.

1. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    It looks like oe of my silkies is pecking at/may starting mounting stuff with my other silkie. They are both gorgeous (got them both from George Mihalik), but I hadn't really thought about the breeding thing, and I just want to know how difficult his whole process is. I was going to do a search, but wasn't sure what to type in. What is a good resource for first timers like myself? I havn't even seen her lay an egg yet, but if she is letting him do this stuff she is female, right?[​IMG]

I am a first time chicken owner. Do you think even thinking about breeding is too much for a newbie like me?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  2. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

no, i'm too confused to speak. [​IMG]

if they're not fighting then there are 2 possibilities :

1. both are girls
    2. 1 roo 1 girl

breeding? i think that's just let a roo *handle* 3-4 girls inside an area, and you're done breeding them. [​IMG]

3. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    your silkie will take care of their own they
    are known for being great broodys, set up the coop for them a nesting place and they will do the rest. I too have my first lone silkie only one,and Iam loving them I am handleing
    it everyday to socializeiti because it is my first , Ihave a doz from CJexotics
    in my bator then the fun begins Iwant to downsize on my
    Batam cochins.and have the silkies they are cute as can be.
    [​IMG]

4. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Good point. I guess I should just let nature take it's course.
    Silkies are awesome! My female (?) is a total cuddler. She comes up to me ad bups against my leg until I pick her up, then she just closes her little eys and makes the sweetest little cooing sounds. I just love the heck out of that chicken![​IMG]

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Yeah, they're neat and they'll handle most of it themselves. You must handle chicks hatched under a hen deliberately and often to tame them as tame as their parents.

Good luck. I've seen his birds they're gorgeous.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by