Silkie people: bleaching yellow feathers white?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by suburbanminifarm, Jun 21, 2010.

1. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Hi all,
    I showed some of my silkies last week, and one of my hens really impressed the judge. He gave her Champion of breed, but did not give her best bantam because she had some slight yellowing of the feathers in her neck and chest area. (He told me this when I asked.)
    I'm wondering what to do for next time. I washed her in Tide with bleach alternative and I did notice the yellowing, but I couldn't get it out. What do you do to "bleach" a white silkie?
    (I snapped these pix just now in the shade; they make her look darker than she is-- hope you can see the yellow on her chest and around neck area)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Turner

Turner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Northeast OH
    Use a horse shampoo called - Quik Silver - works great just massage in leave a minute or two and rinse...don't leave it in too long or you will have a blue/purple tinged bird. This really works well! Good Luck.

3. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    It looks like brassiness caused by sunlight on certain white birds that carry the yellow or red gene. Brassiness never bleaches, in fact it can make it worse. The only way I know of to prevent it is to pen her indoors.

4. suburbanminifarm

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Thanks for replying.... I bet it IS brassiness, since none of my other whites have this. Fantastic. And she's got such great type otherwise. So do I have to worry about a red gene if I use her for breeding? Should I not use her? That's what she gets for self-baking in the California sunshine too much

5. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    she can still be used for breeding, just keep the kids out of the sun. yellow on white birds can also come from too much corn in the diet. I talked to a master leghern breeder at a show he said to cut corn and add wheat to the diet to improve feather quality.

6. suburbanminifarm

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Everyday they get Purina, plus soaked dog food and kitchen scraps. Sometimes I make a "scratch" from 7 grain oatmeal and flax and millet and yes cracked corn, but it's not much of their diet. Oh well, I'll quit the corn altogether.
    I was hoping there would be a quick fix for this, *sigh* but not if it's a genetic trait. She will just have to show as a yellowish white bird! It bothers me a little that the judge said she wasn't clean, when at the time she was so clean you could eat off of her! [​IMG]
    I appreciate it everyone [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    It's the sun. Once she molts she will be pristine white again. Some purina feeds contail marigold, which will yellow the feathers. Dark green grasses and vegies will also, allthough not as much as the marigold and corn.

FWIW, my silver gene birds also get sunburned feathers. I honestly do not see a difference in them between those that are silver versus gold gened. My grey hen had feathers so brassy she looked partridge (until she molted...finally). About the only ones that don't get brassy feathers are buffs and partridges. On them, the sun fades the colouring. [​IMG]

8. suburbanminifarm

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Marigold in the Purina?!? [​IMG] At least I'm not alone in this! Thx Sonoran, I feel better now! Waiting for that molt... [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Phoenixxx

Phoenixxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Really? What business has marigold doing in chicken feed??? If chickens wanted/needed it, they'd be eating mine from my garden! I think I'll be switching back to mash now, as I, too, have a white chicken with yellow feathers (particularly the neck). :rant

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Marigold makes the yolks a deeper yellow. THAT is what it is doing in chicken feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by