Silkie people - Gender guesses please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KellyHM, Nov 19, 2008.

1. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    These 2 are now 3.5 months old. Any ideas as to gender?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Hmmmmm pullets????? They don;t look very rooish... but Silkies are so hard to say for certain.

3. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I hope you're right!! I was getting worried that I had 2 boys b/c their combs are getting pretty dark-colored, but I think that's the way it is with all Silkies, right? They don't act roo-ish either and I haven't heard any crowing attempts yet, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I have 2 pullets. [​IMG]

4. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I read somewhere that the roo's head feathering falls back, away from the face and the girl's head feathering falls toward the eyes/beak...of course I'm dyslexic and usually get things backwards so keep that in mind... so I'd say #1 roo and #2 pullet.

5. heyeddah

heyeddah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Milford Ct
    I have three the exact same age... aiting for crowing too. Mine do not look at all like these two. I have one black with very round pom pom and a grey with decided spikey pom. I hope some other people chime in. I like to see pictures and guesses of other people's silkies.

6. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    It is difficult to say from the pictures you have posted. Can you get one of them just standing on their own? I do see some things that makes me think they are roosters, but I need a better look before committing to an answer.

7. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I can try to get a pic of them standing tomorrow, but I don't know if I can get them to hold still long enough. They don't have to look at the camera, do they? [​IMG] Can you tell me what you see that might make you think roo?

8. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Double post.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  9. tykris99

tykris99 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2008
    Harwinton
    I'm by no means an expert or even close to but my roo has a bigger comb than my girl. He did not crow until about 4 months old and now only crows occasionally. we were so excited when he started to crow though. generally my silkies are pretty quiet

10. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    they both are beautiful birds but my Guess and GUESS only is 2 roos. Just because of the combs...I know hens can have a bit of a comb but they look a little bigger and wider and have more of a color then a hen would have.

My roos crowed at 4 months.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by