SILKIE PEOPLE!! Huge spurs...can i trim them?...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FarmGirl21, Oct 27, 2008.

1. FarmGirl21

FarmGirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    I just got 3 free golden roosters, one is a buff silkie. I have a few concerns with him since i got to check him over after we got home tonight. From what i was told they were a class egg hatching project & this gramma that kept some didn't want the roos now that they're crowing. So they are still young.

1.) he has got about 4 inch long spurs.
    I was wondering if i could trim them at all & how i would do that. They just look so uncomfortable. I've never seen a young one with such big spurs, i would hate to see them get any bigger!!

2.) his legs look very scaly, is this normal or is there something i can do to help?

3.) His comb is insane! it flops heavily to one side so he can't hold his eye open all the way. I've not ever seen one to this extreme, is it okay or will it eventually cause problems. I don't know if there's really anything to do about this but I wanna know if i should keep an eye on his eye.

here he is:
    [​IMG]

"See" his eye?
    [​IMG]
    THE FEET!!!
    [​IMG]

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Maybe try cutting them with dog nail clippers? not sure, new to all this but I believe I read you could do that.

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

you are going to have to cut a little at a time. the quick inside has gotten too long. you are goign to have to trim, and then wait a few days, then trim, then way a few days, otherwise you'll cause him to bleed.

4. Poulets De Cajun

By the way... he isn't young. At least a few years old.

As far as the comb flopping over I dont think there is much you can do. I would just check it and make sure it is clean under the fold every so often.

As for the scaly legs, he probably has scaly leg mites. I've heard of some people using vaseline on the legs. You can also use some Vet-Rx and rub it on there. They are microscopic bugs that get under the scales of the legs and burrow. You need a topical ointment to get under their and kill them off. After a while, the scales should return to normal.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2008
  5. FarmGirl21

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    Yeah, I wasn't sure if they were like dog nails or just all hard. Thank you for the advice Cajun. I really appreciate it...and I'm sure he will too!

Anyone know about the other questions?

6. FarmGirl21

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    It could have just been that the 2 other roos i got were still young. They look like it, one is still growing in his tail feathers. When i was on my way to get the 2 she called & asked if i wanted a banty rooster too...of course i said "sure!"....I was Very happy to see this pretty guy!

7. Poulets De Cajun

With the size of his comb and wattles, and the length of his spurs, he is definitely an adult!

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Ya you can trim those spurs with a hack saw. Doesn't hurt them. That comb is wild for sure...and the legs looks like he may have scaley leg mites (especially on his right leg) I would put Vaseline on them right away, better to be safe than sorry.

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    BTW I would so what Decajun says and cut a little at a time [​IMG]

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:I agree, thats no spring chicken!

As for the spur, you could take a dremmel and cut the spur off as it will cauterize at the same time. If you search spur trimming, or the like, you can probably find many a method people use, from a hot potato to pliers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by