silkie people, I have a quick question about day 18....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WyanLuv, Mar 22, 2009.

1. WyanLuv

WyanLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Iowa
    I have 2 silkie eggs in my incubator on day 18. I am going to be moving them to the hatcher here shortly and I just candled them. The chickies in the eggs are moving around and everything but the egg only looks half filled out. Will this change? Well, more then half... But the chick inside is clearly defined. The other eggs are all black and can't see much but a little veining. So I am wondering if I should put them in the hatcher? Is this normal? I've never hatched bantam eggs, only LF.

2. rbseggs

rbseggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    yes that sounds good as long as they are moving around means they are fine. the more space the easier they will maneuver around to get out easier too. Put them in the hatcher and wait.

3. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    on day 18 u should see fully black and air cell so the others r behind for some reason.

4. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I have silkie eggs on day 15 and I cannot hardly see anything but the air sac some viening and some movement the whole egg is entirly filled with chick. I have eggs on day 13 that sound like yours Half way filled. Are you sure your eggs are not behind a bit what has your temps been?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by