1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie People (Perches)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChooksinChoppers, May 14, 2011.

1. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    How high off the floor do you put your perches? and if they had another one above that...can they hop up onto it as well?

2. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    I don't have perches in my Silkie coop, they didn't want to perch when they were in the grow out coop, so we didn't bother with them. They all sleep in a huge pile of fluff. [​IMG]

3. ChooksinChoppers

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Ok...Hmmmm. We made a little perch for in their brooder and they like that ok. Trying to devise a system to get them up on the platform we made for the nest boxes. I was thinking a few perches staggered up would be better than a ramp?

[​IMG]

4. Kat'sChicks

Kat'sChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Minonk, IL
    I have 26 silkies and none of them actually perch. They don't fly, so it's not easy for them to get on a perch. I have them in all my coops and the big chooks use them all the time, but I don't expect my silkies get up there (theirs is only 14" off the floor). I have plenty of bedding on the floor and the nest boxes are floor level too. I have 2 that are broody right now...go figure...and are sitting on clutches; one in a nest box and one in an actual box covered and in the run. She's always preferred that box...I need to find a new one though as the current one is collapsing thanks to another silkie sleeping on it for a few weeks last time she was broody. If yours actually do roost, make sure they can easily get to them either by hopping or a plank system. Do you have an area where they can nest on the floor of your coop? You should at least give them the option of where they sleep.....enjoy your fuzzy butts!

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My silkies won't perch. Ok, well, most of them won't. They sleep in a pile on the floor, too. [​IMG]

The ones who do perch, have steps (bricks) to hop up, and perch about 2 feet off the floor (actually that is very high for a silkie because they can't see in front of them very well). They walk into walls.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Silkies really can't see well. It is intimidating for them to go up high. I have seen my silkies fall from roosts with a thud that would make you shiver. Once I removed a ramp for cleaning and my silkie walked off the ledge and fell with a thud.

Here is what I would do:

I would put a small pallet in there, up on top of some concrete blocks. Then I would place bricks to provide stairs to get up onto the pallet.

If the pallet still proved too high, you could remove the concrete blocks. I hope you have an apron out to prevent digging predators from digging into your coop.

They really will be happy to be on the ground, but the ground is cold and you want them to be on something like wood, which is warmer. Does your coop have a floor to it? If not, the pallet might help.

Another option is to go with pine shavings, and cover the floor with those.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  7. ChooksinChoppers

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Rats! DD is going to be very dissapointed if they can't go up to their cute little platform. I suppose the other bantams (frizzles and Cochins) will though..so we will have to have an upstairs / downstairs coop [​IMG]

8. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Mine all sleep in a huge pile in the corner of the coop.

I do provide them with a rubbermaid tub on it's side, and they all pile into that to sleep at night.

[​IMG]

9. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I have a wooden stand type thing and my rooster jumps up on that, it's only 2 high if that and he sleeps on it, my girl sleeps on floor, don't know what I will do for my babies yet.

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My silkies do roost at night, but it's a very low roost, maybe 22-24 inches high??? I was thrilled that they learned how, because I like using a dropping board. I do have a ladder - some use it some don't. Also I had to place them on the roost at night for the first two nights.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by