Silkie Plumage Question (im a newbie silkie owner)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kleeo12, Nov 9, 2010.

1. kleeo12

kleeo12 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2010
    I was wondering if anyone had any info on how long it takes for Silkies to become fluffy? Check out my pic, my silkie is about 4 months old(not sure of its a hen or roo yet) but not as fluffy as other 4 month old silkies ive seen......any info you have would be soooo appreciated [​IMG]

2. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    Pacific NW
    Can you put up a bigger picture ?!?

here's my Partridge Silkies at 10 weeks ........my first time with Silkies too - I also have a pair of white silkies .......LOVE this breed !!!

[​IMG]

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:Looks like your silkie is pet quality which is why she's not as fluffy as the show quality birds you see.

4. kleeo12

Nov 9, 2010
    Oohhh nooo....how do I get a show quality?!?! LOL I thought I was going to get fluff balls by the way the lady who sold them to me was talking....p.s How do I post pictures in a post? lol

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, I think she's lovely! I'm not a breeder or anything, but if you're looking for SQ, then you need to do some research online, and buy from a breeder. There are lots of breeders here as members too. You can google silkie breeders for your state or area, and find people that way.

Good luck to you!

Sharon

6. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Four months can be too young to determine how much fluff they are going to end up with. Some don't blossom until nearly a year.

But looking at the lack of feathering on the feet says that they are closer to PQ.

7. kleeo12

Nov 9, 2010
    Oooh ok! So is that something I should look at when picking my chicks, the feathering on the feet?

8. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    There is more to SQ than fluff.

9. kleeo12

Nov 9, 2010
    As with all breeds of animals, that is true :) (I show Dobermans) Im just very very new to the chicken world LOL and Loving this webiste for all the helpful info

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  10. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    There are things there to work with if you get a high quality male. They both have blue ears, dark round eyes. But you will have to wait a bit longer to see what else you will have to work with if you want something more along the breeder or show quality birds. Just keep in mind that it will take several breedings to get closer to breeder quality.

If your focus is going to be just to have the sweet personality of the Silkie then I wouldn't worry about it. I have a couple in my coop that are no where near breeder quality but because of personalities they are here to stay and keep me entertained.

Silkies should have heavy feathering on the legs, it appear yours might be lacking. They should have good feathering on at least three toes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by