Silkie POL??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dewsetter, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Dewsetter

Dewsetter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Liverpool, England
    Hi all, I am a relative newbie and have a 17 week old silkie cross Light Sussex and her earlobes are beginning to turn a vivid blue colour. Is this the equivalent of the combs of other POL pullets turning from pink to red? Am I about to start getting eggs or is it just wishfull thinking
    Many thanks in advance. [​IMG]

2. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    I have 18 week old silkies and they are just starting to lay. The eggs are weird (ie; no shell, translucent etc) but they have started. Their earlobes are blue also, but I do think it's the comb you look at. Mine have burgundy combs, so I don't think they will be turning color. I also have other chickens that started laying eggs (16 to 18 weeks)..some had crazy red big combs and others started laying with just a puny comb.

3. Dewsetter

Dewsetter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Liverpool, England
    Many thanks for your reply, she hasn't really got any comb to speak of and what is there is black. I was just hoping that the blue earlobes was an indicator as I can't wait to try her first egg and look expectantly in the nestbox every day! I am excited to think that yours are laying and she is only a little younger though. Hopefully not long to wait now [​IMG]

4. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    I know...getting those first eggs are so exciting. I still love collecting their eggs and I've been getting eggs since Jan.

Don't forget to look in weird places for the first eggs. I found my silkie's first egg broken under the roost bar. I found my older chickens first eggs in the middle of the coop all broken and stepped on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by