Silkie, Polish, Neither or Both?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CascadiaRiver, Dec 30, 2014.

1. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I am a new member to 4h and chickens in general. We have 5 backyards chickens and 2 show chickens for 4h, but the 5 outside ones are 3 cochin, a buttercup and a EE, in this next Febuary at the next 4h show we are getting chicks and i have the possiblity to get one of the beautiful (in my opinion) crested chickens, and well I know there are down sides to both including limited visablilit and they cant see up, silkies have odd feathers and get cold, feathered feet, tweezing the polish crest ect ect ect and I was wondering, what are you ups and downs? If you have them or want them, which is easier, more satisifying, or are both good canidates, or should i just cross them off my list complety?

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Silkies tend to be the better birds in my opinion. They do much better in conformation and I've gotten my Silkie Cock to be an awesome showmanship bird. I would also if you can watch any birds for sale show first or watch how the person selling the bird does with his or her birds first. It's also a bad idea to buy on impulse as you may end up with something you don't do well with or want.

3. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    We are most likley going to get them as chicks so I doubt someone will show a chick, and really they are going to be my first pick, my only concerns are, im in the Pacific Northwest and we get a lot of rain and that turns the dirt to mud, and though we dont get snow and when we do we get very little but I am afraid of the cold winters, and thesse last 2 years we got some crazy wind, and well im afraid of them getting cold. But all other things seem to be perfect about them, but the cld just worries me....

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    silkies do fine in the cold so long as you can keep them dry and out of drafts. chicks, of course will need heat until they are older. better to get birds from a breeder than a feedstore or hatchery. while the breeder might not be showing younger birds, you can get an idea of their type by the adult birds they show.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by