1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie Poo Poo Bottoms

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    To all you Silkie experts, is it normal for silkies to have more of a tendency to get poo stuck on their bottoms? Some of my girls are fine, but there are two of them that are getting an accumulation of poo on their fluffy butts. No one seems sick, so i'm not thinking it's a diarrhea problem.

i'm planning on bringing them in this afternoon for a wash and blow dry (any suggestions on bathing a silkie would be appreciated). Just wanted some input on whether or not this is a normal silkie problem.

Thanks!

2. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I haven't had an issue with this. Maybe it's happening when they are laying eggs.

Julie [​IMG]

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    My Silkies don't get it stuck to their bottoms they get it stuck to
    their leg feathers. They also like to sleep under roosting standards.
    That just gets nasty. I'd build a silkie coop but they get along
    so well with the standards.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i was able to pick the poo off Diana, but brought Morgan in to soak her bottom in a warm tub of water. She isn't laying yet, so that may not be the problem. i do have my silkies sleeping under my two silkie/polish/japanese/mille fleur little girls, so having problems with poo poo on other parts of the girls, too. Very bad planning on my part. Next coop, which will be after we move up to Northern California in a couple months, will be much better planned.

Morgan actually weathered the bath pretty well. Just a couple of frantic flights up to the top of my head, but nothing we both couldn't handle. [​IMG]

Oh, and yes, had to soak Morgan's feathered feet, too, for poo poo. These silkies are high maintenance!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by