Silkie poo question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BunsNChicks, Jul 20, 2011.

1. BunsNChicks

BunsNChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    salinas,ca
    Ok I have an odd question. I have silkies and I also have buff orpingtons,marans and americanas. The silkies and the other birds are kept separate from each other. My husband says that my silkies are very stinky (their poo) compared to the other birds. Is this normal?

2. austincoopersilkiesies

austincoopersilkiesies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    My Silkies Poo Smells Very Little And When It Does Smell It Smells The Same As Other Chickens!

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Do you feed them differently? Anything different about their water or health? Or the dryness of their coop? Any of these can affect the odor.

4. BunsNChicks

BunsNChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    salinas,ca
    I had the silkies on medicated up until recently (other chickens are on unmedicated) and Silkies are on grass (others are free range on dirt).

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Is the medicated brand different? Some brands tend to create runnier poo. Also, how long since you switched them from medicated? That transition can cause short term issues as their body gets used to the change. Eating grass is also a difference. Might want to give them a bit of live-culture plain yogurt, and add apple cider vinegar to their water. Those may help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by