silkie prefers luxury??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by emeraldquill, Jun 29, 2008.

1. emeraldquill

emeraldquill Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Suffolk.England
    I have 2 silkies,one laying and one just gone broody. They were bothed housed in a very spacious coup and run with access to food and water 24 hrs a day.
    My older silkie a few weeks back was starting to holler at 4am every day and I had to keep getting up to let her into the garden so as not to disturb the neighbours!! after a week I was exhausted and ready to casserole her!!!.....so had a brainwave.
    I borrowed a friends huge dog cage and put them in it in my conservatory at nights....since then....NOT A PEEP!!!
    Why has this made her shut up?? She has less room than the run and the temp here is warm....does she just want the 'Hilton experience' or is something disturbing her outside that I don't know about?
    I have spent quite a lot of money purchasing soundproofing material from a sound company...am worried that despite this she will start it all over again once I have it in place.
    Anyone have any ideas on her strange behaviour???

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Something might have been nosing around the coop, methinks...

3. emeraldquill

Apr 15, 2008
    Suffolk.England
    Don't think it could be a fox, our garden is very secure..unless they can jump a 6ft fence, can they? Only other thing is mice but we have bait down for those and 2 cats....don't see any evidence of those either. Anyone else had this situation?

4. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    many predetors are great at climbing. Just my thought. Could be they like the nice warm house too. [​IMG]

5. emeraldquill

Apr 15, 2008
    Suffolk.England
    I could understand that if it was winter and it was cold at nights, but it's quite warm here at the minute. The conservatory can actually be very cold at night despite being an oven during the day. [​IMG]
    I'm going with the 'something disturbing her' option but have no idea what else I can do to deter whatever it is that's lurking around. Anyone else tried the soundproofing mats??? or anything else to dampen the noise, and does it work?
    Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the help.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by