silkie problem

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lindy, Jan 13, 2011.

1. lindy

lindy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Oregon
    so long story short,
    finally saved up enough to get some silkies and had them mailed here. they were chicks varied in size but small.

there were 10 of them. well i had to leave town and had a friend babysit my pets. told them numerous times i had chicks in the bathroom, please keep the food up and water and clean every other day. and i had two separated as one had the tilt head going on.

came home to the smell of death

opened the bathroom and there were dead silkies

7 were still alive. no water of course since i was gone for 4 days and they had a heat lamp on.

I hand watered the survivors and fed them hoping they will make it.

next morning the one that was sleeping died

so down to 6. Luckily the two separated were fine as they had enough water for two chicks but if i didnt separate them they would of died since they were also the smallest.

anyways,
    One is still small I dont think she has grown at all since that day. They all got stunted from lack of food as babies but all but this one grew out of it. This little one has bright eyes, feathers,runs around but is the size of my hand. the bigger ones i can see three are boys one is 95% girl.

what should I do? should i bring it back inside to give it more attention. I am feeding gamebird feed to them since they arent adults yet.

2. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Not sure of the age but under 2 mths I would give medicated starter. But I would also give cooked eggs, and vitamins and elyctrolytes in the water it will give them the boost they need now. I would also give the person you had watching them a good talking to. Again not sure of the age but if they are not doing well I would bring them inside and supply a heat lamp. Lefabers is also great for under weight birds. You can pick it up at Pet Smart for 10 bucks and will last awhile.

I hope your silkies get better.

3. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Quote:X2

And so sorry this happened

4. lindy

Sep 6, 2009
    Oregon
    yes it was good she wasn't there because i was really mad. The neighbor beside me said the horse was trying to go over the fence(never tried before), and the same bale that i left open for the lady was not all used. so she did a horrible job.

They were born in sept, i got them in October, i think i put them outside beginning of December, they were way to big to be in the house.

So i think im going to get a diaper for the little one and bring him in, see how he does by himself. maybe i can leave him outside during the day and inside during the night? so he stays with the other silkies?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  5. Luvroos

Luvroos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    Sorry for your loss! It's tough to depend on anyone these days! This happened to me years ago but, with lovebirds! To make a ong story short, my girls were supposed to be feeding and watering them when they got home from school and did not do it so I lost all of them. It were my mistake for trusting them unconditionally.

6. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    Wish I had advice for you but I've only just ordered my first silkies. The other chicks we got last April did fine, but I baby mine completely.

I am so very angry for you. That person killed your girls, so you need to get her (him?) to compensate you so you can order more to replace ALL of them, even the ones that are still alive but stunted.

Yeah, that's pure meanness and irresponsibiity.

so sorry for you.

7. lindy

Sep 6, 2009
    Oregon
    She was sorry, and did offer to get some chicks at the feed store. of course they dont have any and she didnt understand how much they were worth or how much i really wanted them. After i told her how much i paid, she was like ummm sorry. she cant afford to replace them. My fault for trusting her to take care of my animals. She wont ever again. I was in a bind and needed someone quick. and she cares for her pets correctly and said there will be no problem with my animals. I wrote lists on the door, told her how to feed everyone. SHe didnt even see the note on the door so... what am i going to do. luckly my outside hens were ok, they had a bigger water and were upset but didnt starve to death. what is done is done. It really sucks, least i have one pullet hopefully out of all this.

maybe i wasnt ment to get silkies i dont know. my last batch i got i ended up keeping 4(my limit i was told) sold the others to recoop some shipping cost. they ended up being boys:(

thanks again, maybe ill get into some $ and get a pair and pay the big bucks :lol:silkies are so cool.

8. Luvroos

Luvroos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    I don't blame you for wanting silkies! I love them myself and have 8, 5 roos to 3 hens! They will work out for you sooner or later however hens are hard to come by.

Glad to hear that she apologized! She must be young or just careless! It happened to me also by my best friend and then I think others don't care for their pets the way their owners do!

9. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:Offer her a payment plan.

Hope you didn't pay her.

I'd have made her bury them, the second I found out I'd have called her over to bury them.

(But I'm mean when it comes to neglecting my animals)

If she had your phone number there was no excuse for 'missing' animals.

I am so sorry for your loss.

10. lindy

Sep 6, 2009
    Oregon
    update,
    I have one male splash, one male black,one black pullet, two buff pullets left. re-homed a male.
    the one buff girl is still holding on, she gets separated once a day to eat all she can in the house as she has lousy aim, she is usually with the male splash they were buddies when they were chicks.

this was the best photo i could get off all of them, the buff girl is in the front.
    all silkies are together now, finally got my first crow from one of the boys.

[​IMG]

another photo of the boss hen in front
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by