1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie project

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by littlemissbatam, Aug 18, 2015.

1. littlemissbatam

littlemissbatam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2015
    Hello I have two silver Sebright hens and want to breed them into silkes till I get true silkie with silver laceing so what color silkie would I breed to them to keep the silver laceing

2. jaredthefox

jaredthefox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    Marshall Texas
    I am not sure it can be done. But if it could I would use a white silkie. Breed that silkie to a silver sebright. Take that baby and breed it to a silver sebright. Take that babies baby and breed it to a silver sebright than breed this 3rd baby to second baby to increase the silkie genes while still keeping the silver sebright genes. Than continue this pattern. You may have to cross a baby to a full silkie from time to time to get it closer to a silkie.

The only way it might be possible is diligent inbreeding and paying attention to generations of breeding. Heavy selective breeding.

3. littlemissbatam

Jul 24, 2015
    I was thinking black because white covers up color but I'm just a beginner so I'm still learning

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Not white. You need SILVER, which has a white appearance, but is entirely different genetically. Your best bet is to start with a grey silkie and cross to a silver laced cochin or wyandotte (cochin is the better choice, if you can find one) to bring in lacing. Gender does not matter. Then breed back to silkies.

One thing to note, your lacing won't be nice and crisp like on non-silkied feathering.

5. littlemissbatam

Jul 24, 2015
    I'm ok with that they will be unique that way

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by