Silkie pullet almost drowned-help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ellie97, Aug 10, 2013.

1. ellie97

ellie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    My tiny white silkie pullet (about 3 1/2 months old) tried to climb in the big hens' water bowl today and nearly drowned in it before we could get her out. That was around 12 30 today-I quickly got her wrapped up in a fleece blanket and warmed/dried, then got her under a heat lamp for a while and brought in her sister with her for moral support. She has access to food and water. Does anyone have suggestions for how I can further help her pull through?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You seem to be doing everything right in regards to your hen. You may also want to give her elctrolytes and probiotics to help her get over the stress. Good luck with your pullet!

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Just keep her warm and dry, make sure she is eating and drinking, and prevent her from getting into the water bowl again. If she starts wheezing/breathing heavily, she might have inhaled some water, which isn't good. Unfortunately, you can't really do anything to help if she has water in her lungs, other than keep her quiet and hope for the best.

Good luck!

4. ellie97

Apr 24, 2011
    Hi-thanks for your advice!! The lil girl is doing well-eating and drinking and acting normally. The only concern is her nostrils are running a little (clear discharge) and she smells a little funny. She started on a water soluble antibiotic today. She is on her regular chicken scratch and boiled egg. I brought her buddy in to be with her-she's currently in my room in a guinea pig/rabbit cage....

5. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    What antibiotic are you using? It sounds as though she could be developing some sort of respiratory disease, though I'm not sure what she would have got if from. I'd watch her carefully for the next few days, and continue the antibiotics.

6. ellie97

Apr 24, 2011
    This little girl is doing pretty well but I am still concerned. Eating and drinking and has been on Duramycin-10 for a week now. Still runny nosed and sneezing/having to breath through mouth some. Eating her normal food (layer pellets) plus a boiled egg a day to ensure she is getting enough protein. I am going to keep her inside and on this diet until she clears up unless anyone has any suggestions for changes?

7. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    If the Duramycin-10 doesn't work, I would try treating your pullet with Tylan50 or Tylan200. Tylan comes in a powdered water soluble oral form, and in an injectable liquid form. The injectable form works faster and more efficiency, and that is what I recommend. The Tylan50 injectable dosage is 1cc for large-fowl, .5ccs for bantams, injected into one side of the breast once daily for 5 days. The Tylan200 injectable dosage is .5ccs for large-fowl, .2-.3ccs for bantams, injected into one side of the breast once daily for 3-4 days. Use a small gauged needle, and alternate the side of the breast that you inject into, as Tylan tends to make the injection area painful. Do not give probiotics or dairy products during Tylan treatment, or use Apple Cider Vinegar in the water. Vitamins/electrolytes are fine, though; as are probiotics after the treatment. Improvement is usually seen 2-3 days after beginning Tylan treatment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by