silkie pullet doesn't move much since I bought her

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lena, Mar 3, 2009.

1. lena

lena Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    I bought white silkie 6 month old pullet a week ago from eggbid.com.She seems fine - eating and drinking, but doesn't move much!Couple steps to the right, couple steps to the left, and that pretty much it. She can stand on one place all day long!
    We live in the city and I wanted her as a pet, not a flower [​IMG]! I don't know much about silkies behavior and wandering if this is normal or she is sick!
    Please help!

2. BoiseBubba

BoiseBubba Serama Psycho

Feb 11, 2009
    Boise, ID
    Unless she is thin or has a pasty butt or is acting like she is really sick, thats what silkies do,so don't be worried, I once had a silkie who stood in the same spot for two hours without even turning its head...... [​IMG]

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]Happy to meet you! Glad you're here!! [​IMG] Hope you enjoy our company!! [​IMG] WELCOME to BYC!!!

Sorry, can't help you with Silkie Info, they confuse me too! They're not really chickens you know! They landed in an alien spacecraft and they're plotting on how to take over the world! I'm waiting to hear that the first children get one for a pet, then I'll know real fear!!! [​IMG]

4. FaereChicken

FaereChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    N. Central Maryland
    Sounds like the toy dogs of the chicken world! [​IMG]

5. lena

lena Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    Quote:No, she is not thin and very pretty! We have little Mille Fleur D'uccle very gentle and kind rooster and thought she will make him a company! But she seems not interested in any company at all! She just eating, drinking and standing in same spot FOR ALL DAY! I even put the towel for her in the middle of the room and she is there!
    He is afraid of her now! He doesn't have much experience with the ladies [​IMG]!
    We have great new chicken coop in the backyard, but now I am afraid it is not for her to live outside!
    So sad, if this is the way she is going to be! She is like a pillow or something, so lifeless!
    Not fun at all![​IMG]
    P.S. Nice to meet you everybody!

6. PortageGirl

Maybe she needs Mother Nature and interesting things to do like peck at bugs and other chickens to remind her that she really is a chicken! ((yes, I know I said she isn't, but I was only kidding, that spaceship I saw at the neighbor that has silkies was sure to be a total coincidence))

7. lena

lena Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    Quote:As I said, my rooster trying to remind her "that she is a chicken!", trying to feed her , trying, poorly, to seduce her – she keeps ignoring him and everything around her!
    This is pic of her[​IMG]

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Can she see? Maybe you should pluck some of the feathers around her eyes.

9. lena

lena Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    Quote:Yes,I did pluck feathers around her eyes- a lot of feathers, and there still lots left! When she stands upright with the neck stretched , her eyes opens up, but she mostly sitting or standing with her head down!

10. PortageGirl

oh yeah!! I've read that that Polish and other cresteds need their 'bangs' trimmed sometimes!! Maybe she's afraid to move much? YO! SILKIE OWNERS! hehe... Pretty sure you need to snip em back, not pluck though, and not too far down the barbs.

[edit] oh, never mind then, sorry we both posted around the same time I think.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by