1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie pullet food substitute?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by accoladryn, Feb 27, 2017.

1. accoladryn

accoladryn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    Hey everyone, I just acquired 3 silkie pullets, one about 6 months the other two maybe 2-3 months... my question is, I got them today from their mama, and I couldn't make it over to the feed store before it closed for chick starter. I have layer feed for my older hens, but my choices now are either wait until tomorrow around lunchtime to feed them (almost 24 hours!) as that's the soonest I'll be able to get home w food... or give them some of the layer feed to hold them over. Or some lettuce or something green! They are having a hard time being away from mama already so I feel awful :( what would be my best approach here?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Feed them layer, a few days won't cause any problems. I feed all my bantams a non medicated grower, so there's never a worry about having the right feed, and free choice oyster shells covers the extra calcium needs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by