Silkie Pullet may have something lodged in throat...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by canyoncritters, Nov 12, 2010.

1. canyoncritters

canyoncritters Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Silverado
    I am a little embarrassed to have to post this, since we usually figure the issue out and are able to treat. I cannot seem to find any other information based on her symptoms so hopefully someone has some advice from their experience. [​IMG]
    Okay, so I have a very nice little 3 1/2 month old partridge Silkie pullet "Jezabelle" that I was very excited about for the spring shows. She has always been a great eater and been of good weight.
    Now her crop is only about 1/8 full of food at any given time or completely empty. She seems like her weight may have barely started to drop. (it's been 2 days since first seeing this behavior, before she had her crop full like everyone else)
    She has no distended areas of crop or sour smell that would lead me to believe that she has impacted or sour crop. She had a deworming treatment 2 weeks ago as well. The only thing that I can think of is that she has a seed stuck in her throat. She has no raspy breathing but will stretch her neck and gape her mouth once in a while like she is trying to dislodge something. We recently started adding "chick scratch" (from king feeds) to her chick crumbles, which is just very small scratch. I also grind up millet,alfalfa, sunflower seeds, calf manna, and salmon meal as an added supplement that is mixed in. Now I am worried that maybe some weren't grinded down enough that I may have missed, or the scratch that is supposedly fine for chicks/young birds really is'nt.

I had the hubby hold her while I tried looking down her throat with a flashlight and it is difficult to see anything. She is still eating (I'm only giving her chick mash now) & drinking, but not as much as the other youngsters. Does anyone know what the heck can be done about this before I call my vet?

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Do a search on chicken gasping for breath. I read a thread recently where the symptoms sounded similar to your pullet's. It sounded like the chicken was just working things through the crop and it was normal. Hope that helps. At the least it will bump you back up.

ETA: You might want to check for gapeworm.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  3. canyoncritters

canyoncritters Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Silverado
    Thank you for your reply [​IMG]. We did swab her for gape worm and did not find anything, but she does seem a little better today. I gave her some watered down nutrical and some hand fed fluids, plus oil in her feed w/ probiotics. So hopefully I covered all bases [​IMG] She is eating better so I will just leave her in quarantine this week & keep a close eye on her. Shes actually starting to peck at me when I go to pick her up, probably due to the hand feeding and other "prodding" lol.
    I'll post again if things change, thanks again!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by