Silkie pullet not walking, moves backwards only

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dooziepen, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Dooziepen

Dooziepen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2017
    I have a silkie hen that I originally thought was just blind (after trimming around eyes). She has always backed her way into a corner. I have kept her with her friend who seems to assist her in getting to the food and water. She sleeps on the ground, and as of today isn't using her legs, but instead flaps around and sits on her bottom. I have checked for mites, she doesn't hold her head up very long, but doesn't appear to be wry neck. (I seriously thought she was just stressed when I got her.) Please help!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG] Welcome To BYC

How old is she?
    Was she vaccinated for Marek's?
    Can you take her to a vet?

It's hard to know what's going on without some testing. It could be from injury, vitamin nutritional deficiency or some type of neurological disorder like Wry Neck that would be a symptom of an illness like Marek's.

Try to keep her hydrated, offer wet feed and some poultry vitamins that contain B vitamins and give her some Vitamin E (400 IU daily) along with some egg or tuna to provide Selenium.

https://poultrykeeper.com/blog/diseases-common-to-silkies/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

3. Dooziepen

Jan 19, 2017
    She was not vaccinated. I have had her for 8 weeks, and she has always been off (the backwards walk). The person I got her from has not seen any other birds exhibiting any symptoms, so I'm guessing/hoping brain injury. Unfortunately my husband is one of the "it's just a chicken" people, so a vet is a no-go. I tried to syringe feed her and give her vitamins, but her beak almost seems fused shut :( I have her isolated and will keep trying to feed her. Thank you for your reply![​IMG]

4. Dooziepen

Jan 19, 2017
    Also, she is 18 weeks old

5. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Do the best you can to get fluids and vitamins into her. Even if it's head trauma - Silkies have a "vaulted" skull and can be susceptible to injury, just a small peck can do damage. It seems hydration is even more important than normal with them.

You may need to try to tube or syringe fluids and food into her if she can't eat on her own.

Since she seems to not be able to open her mouth, it could also be a symptom of Marek's, it can cause paralysis, mainly of the legs and wings, but it can be accompanied by a lot of neurological symptoms as well, so facial/beak paralysis is a possibility. Unfortunately, even if she were vaccinated, she could have developed symptoms. The vaccine only stops the formation of tumors, but other symptoms can present - these are usually seen between 12-25wks, but Marek's can present at any age.

Hopefully with vitamins, hydration, good nutrition (chick starter/flock raiser) and adding some extra protein like egg or tuna to her diet she will start to improve.

Keep us posted.

Feeding a Silkie with Wry Neck

Tube Feeding
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding starts at 15

6. Dooziepen

Jan 19, 2017
    Little one passed away yesterday afternoon [​IMG] she had a seizure and didn't recover. Thank you for your advice, I will be watching the others very closely!

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by