Silkie Pullet or Cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by UrbanSilkies, Nov 2, 2015.

1. UrbanSilkies

UrbanSilkies Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2015
    Hi everyone,

I currently have 4 silkies, 3 of which I am 99% sure are girls, but the fourth I am not so sure about. She is the oldest and at the top of the pecking order, but she acts like a girl. I used to have a silkie rooster, and she acts completely different from him. She is quiet, walks like a hen (she doesn't have the rooster "pose"), etc. The silkie rooster that I used to have crowed at 5 months, but this silkie is now 6 months old and hasn't crowed. I really hope she is a girl because she is a sweetheart.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    If you post pictures, we could tell you your Silkies gender.

3. UrbanSilkies

Aug 5, 2015
    For some reason the pictures I posted didn't appear.... Here are the pictures of the silkie in question. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Pullet

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I'm thinking pullet as well. :eek:)

6. UrbanSilkies

Aug 5, 2015
    I hope so! I was a bit worried because she has some longer crest feathers (as you can see in the pictures), but they stand straight up, and she acts like a little girl. In this picture, I had trimmed her crest, but evenly everywhere.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Can't see her comb at all. Could you tie back the crest feathers just long enough to get a good picture of her comb development. Silkies are very difficult to sex and without seeing her comb I wouldn't even make an educated guess. I have also noticed the spikey feathers in her crest.

8. UrbanSilkies

Aug 5, 2015
    I will try to take a picture tomorrow, they are sleeping right now. This picture isn't of her, but it looks exactlyexactly like her when she is wet (the silkie in the picture is a hen).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    In your first set of pictures, those streamers popping off the back of the crest would indicate that your bird is a lovely white cockerel. My Silkie roosters are very feminine too. They have large crests and small combs and wattles. But, they crow and mate their hens, looking girly all the while.

10. UrbanSilkies

Aug 5, 2015

Turns out that "she" is a male, since my hen's eggs are fertilized, but he's never crowed and I've never seen him mating with her, which is weird. Anyways, I'm glad he doesn't crow since if he did I wouldn't be able to keep him.

Thanks for the help everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by