1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Silkie Pullet or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sagealbright, Jul 24, 2014.

1. sagealbright

sagealbright Chirping

Apr 29, 2014
    We got this little "girl", Smudge, over a month ago. Our breeder told us she was one of the only ones he suspected to not be male. She's very small but the "poof" on top of her head is confusing me. It doesn't look like the streamers my Silkie roo has but they don't look very round either. They always appear to be wet and dirty so I'm not sure if her feathers are just clumped together. Anyone has any opinions? I already have two roosters and am not sure if I would be able to keep Smudge too. My older Silkie roo was supposed to be a Pullet as well. Our breeder will let us exchange her for a Pullet but it seems to be very hard to sex them and he said it's hard to know until they lay or crow. Anyone think they can figure out what little Smudge is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I think you have a pullet.

3. sagealbright

sagealbright Chirping

Apr 29, 2014
    Also, I haven't been able to see any sort of comb at all so far. Her feathers get in the way. But we also couldn't see one on my other Silkie until a few weeks ago a huge walnut comb grew in what seemed like over night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: