1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

silkie pullet or silkie roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shaynapalmer, Jun 13, 2010.

1. shaynapalmer

shaynapalmer In the Brooder

May 31, 2009
    Maine
    I was wondering if anyone would like to play the guessing game with me? I have 3 silkies and I'm not sure who is a he and who is a she [​IMG] I think I have an idea but I need more opinions..I'm calling one Grandma already (so i'm praying everyone thinks it's a she as well) they are 10 weeks old. The first one has a spikey comb(sorry about my terminology) but a good little waddle and is very fiesty with my RIR's The second one has no comb but a waddle and my third has a little comb and no waddle...that's the one I call Grandma [​IMG] if you need better pics let me know

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RooptyDoo

RooptyDoo Songster

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    1 Roo 2 Roo 3 pullet

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  3. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Songster 8 Years

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    Roo, roo, hen. Comb and wattles at 10 weeks means boy. Grandma can probably keep her name, but 10 weeks is too early to rule out a roo. Good luck, I know I need it when it comes to growing a silkie hen. Seems like unsexed is code for rooster.

4. shaynapalmer

shaynapalmer In the Brooder

May 31, 2009
    Maine
    Thank you! those were my thoughts too, I'm happy that I get to keep the name Grandma..I may keep the second guy and get rid of the first one, he's kinda mean to my 1 year old RIR's (apparently he didn't get the memo that he they are twice the size of him) I hope I can get some free babies!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: