Silkie pullet with legs sticking out in front, can't walk.

Debbienmousey

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
Washington, Georgia, USA
My Partridge Silkie pullet, Allison, has been sick for about two weeks. She is about 23-24 weeks old and I bought her two months ago at the Newnan poultry show along with a Partridge cockerel and White cockerel. She started showing signs of sickness on the 15th, wings drooping, staggering around, not being able to eat dry food much. I was talking to her breeder via email and we decided it may be Coccidiosis, so I bought some liquid Corid and added that to her water(the two cockerels were not showing signs of sickness, but I dosed their water with Corid as well to be on the safe side). She lost a lot of weight in the following 3 days and by 21st I thought she was a goner. That night I gave her a wet mash of her regular food (Purina Gamebird Starter) and the medicated water. I don't know why I hadn't given it to her sooner, but she gobbled that stuff up. Anyway, this past Wednesday marked the day she had been on Corid for a week, so I took her off it and gave her electrolyte water. During this time her mobility has gone way down. Up until 3-4 days ago she was able to walk around a little with her wings drooping out and to the sides a bit. Since then she has been able to walk less and less, I often find her lying on her side with one foot up near her head and the other way out backwards near her tail. I have tried propping her up on towels and that works okay. I'm giving her the wet mash solely now (with water available, of course), and I add a raw egg and 2 tsp of yogurt to it once a day. I'm not sure if I should give her more yogurt than that or not, I was afraid it might give her runny poos. I have also been mixing in 2-3 drops of Poly-Vi-Sol once or twice a day with her food. Yesterday she did not get up and walk around at all, but stayed in the same spot all day except for when I moved her. I used to have to tap a spoon in the bowl of food to get her to eat, but in the past 2-3 days her appetite has gone up and now I can usually leave the bowl in there by itself and she'll eat well. I can feel her crop after feedings, which makes me feel good because for the first 5-7 days of her being sick I could never feel anything in her crop. I believe overall she's improved, except for her legs. Most of the time she lays like this:

Wings kind of flopped out (at least one), legs out front. Or, more commonly, she lays like this:

She does this sometimes when I'm feeding her. She'll wiggle, push her legs out front like that and crane her neck forward towards the ground. Poor baby, she always looks and sounds so helpless. I have read (here on BYC) that this "leg paralysis" or weak legs can follow treatment with Corid or be from a vitamin B deficiency (which Corid causes). Tomorrow I am going to start giving her Poly-Vi-Sol drops straight into her beak, hope that will help. I don't think I have any vitamin E capsules or I'd give her that too, I'll have to check. Do you think this is just a vitamin B deficiency following the Cocci infection? She can move her toes. Is there anything else I should be doing for her? Should I give her "therapy"? If this is just a vitamin B deficiency, how soon should I see results and will she hopefully fully recover and be able to walk normally again? I'm so worried that her legs and feet will get used to being like that and will get stuck in that position. She is such a sweet girl, I want her to be able to walk again..
sad.png

I am sorry you never got a response to your post but was wondering how your girl is doing? I have a young one that was just like this, maybe even a bit worse than these photos and this happened shortly after a treatment with Corid. It is about four weeks now since I brought her inside to treat her and she is starting to stand up a bit with her one leg. I hope your girl got better and I am hoping mine continues to improve also!

I'm so sorry about your girl. There's a possibility that you could be dealing with Marek's. If she passes and if you have the services available, I would suggest you have a thorough necropsy done that includes histopathological examination so that you can find out, definitively, what you're dealing with.

Best of luck.

I feel very upset right now for both of us. On Sat I bought a cockerel and pullet from Bobbi Porto here in Fl, When I was there she brought her out and put her down to see if the cockerel and her would get along and she didn't get up to move around, but seemed alert and looking around (her wings were very droopy). When we got her home after the 2 hour drive she looked exactly how your pullet does now. She will eat on her own, but I have to tube her for fluids. She flaps around trying to get mobile and then just lays her head back down. I don't know the end result of your situation, but I'm hoping it was positive so that I know there's a light at the end of the tunnel for Smooch.

Back
Top Bottom