Silkie Pullets in NC!!!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by PoultryQueen29, Nov 17, 2011.

1. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I'm not really color picky but I would like to purchase a silkie pullet next spring. It would have to be around 6 months old in March 2012. I dont want to buy now because it's winter and i'd rather wait. Let me know if you will have one 6-7 months old in March!

My favorite colors are silver(favorite)/blue/regular partridge, paint, gray, and lavender but I will look at any colors! If you have the silkie right now please post or PM pics of it [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  2. spowell

spowell Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    I will have plenty by spring. I do have white babies right now and more hatching next week. I live near Wilmington.

3. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Will they be about 6 months old this coming spring? Are you hatching any other colors? White is perfectly fine with me just curious [​IMG]

4. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    anyone else???

5. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    No one is going to be able to tell you if they will have a pullet in March that is six months old. First, any chicks would be hatching or just hatched about now. Most quality Silkies can not be sexed until they are six months old. Most are unwilling to let a quality bird go for cheap but will keep for their breeding program. That means the bird needs to be six months or more to tell what they are going to be.

You will just have to request in March what you're looking for because no one can really answer your question now. Heck, some could have happen what happened with two hatches totaling 17 chicks that turned out to be all males. No way could they commit to selling a female with those bad odds.

6. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Yes but you can take a pretty good guess at it. I have had silkies and I could tell at 4 months old.

7. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    As someone who has raised Silkies for quite a few years now I can attest that sexing at four months is rare. There is the once in a while male that will crow early but high quality Silkies take time to know for certain what their sex is. They mature slowly.

8. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:I go by feathering which is not that accurate but I only misjudged one. I though it was a cockeral for sure. It had a tiny swept back crest, long, pointy, rough hackles, a bigger comb, and had a classic rooster attitude to match. Ended up she was the dominant hen who just happened to be the one with boy feathering [​IMG]

The others were pullets and I could tell. They had big poofy crests and tails, had no large comb/wattles, no long and pointy hackle/saddle feathers, and they were very sweet and timid.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by