Silkie Pullets or Roosters? IM SO CONFUSED

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PoultryQueen29, Oct 2, 2011.

1. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I have made a topic for these chickens before but not since I saw this...

I thought I had one blue rooster and white and splash pullets but I just looked at my white one's comb which I could never see under its crest and it was wide, big, and red! It also has big wattles, straight hackle feathers, and was always the biggest chicken. I think my blue is definately a roo though because it is bold and chases the others. Also looks like a roo. My blue mostly goes after my splash but it also goes after my white occationally and the white one runs away and never fights back which makes me think my white is a hen. SO CONFUSED!!!!! But I still think my little splash is a hen. Small with no wattles or comb, and really fluffy!!! They are all 4 months old now.

Here are their pictures:

Blue silkie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    White silkie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Splash silkie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All 3 together
    [​IMG]

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I think the first is your only male. White is def. a pullet. Splash is probably a pullet.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I have no earthly idea regarding silkie gender but I'm gonna take a stab at it anyway. I'll guess white roo and 2 hens. Either way, that white one is super sexy.[​IMG]

4. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    First and second pics is your only roo and the rest are hens

5. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Phew! I was so worried! I can't keep a rooster where I live. Losing one of my babies really stinks but losing two would be a nightmare!

Either way, that white one is super sexy.

Thanks [​IMG]! I raised it well​

6. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    If I have a rooster I would like to get rid of it before the first crow so I don't lose all my chickens instead of just one. I think everyone agrees that my blue is most likely a rooster.

7. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I'm aiming for giving my blue silkie back next weekend. Any last minute opinions?

8. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Well, the white looks like a pullet to me but you say she has big wattles and a wide red comb? I didn't see that so ???

The blue looks to have a slightly swollen comb from what I can see but as far as the topknot it's hard to tell, he/she doesn't have much up there.

The splash on the other hand has a swept back topknot which is what I look at. Alot of my roos anyhow have the swept back topknot look.

As far as the blue chasing the others, does the splash ever fight back or have a staredown, jump up at the blue. Typical boy behavior would be too roos having a staredown, standoff !! Alot of times if I am unsure I will put a younger silkie in with some mature silkies. If they mount the younger ones, it will confirm my suspicions that I have a hen. Two roos will fight. Two hens will fight alot of the times.

Good luck, keeping my fingers crossed you have all hens but I'm guessing you have one hen and maybe two roos. Hope I'm wrong.

Keep us posted.

9. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Well, the white looks like a pullet to me but you say she has big wattles and a wide red comb? I didn't see that so ???

The comb is well hidden in the crest. I never saw it until I pulled back its crest a little.

As far as the blue chasing the others, does the splash ever fight back or have a staredown, jump up at the blue.

Never. Both the white and splash always run away from the blue one when it starts chasing them.

I'm guessing you have one hen and maybe two roos.

I would hope not! That would be depressing [​IMG]

Thanks for the reply anyway! [​IMG]

10. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Quote:The comb is well hidden in the crest. I never saw it until I pulled back its crest a little.

As far as the blue chasing the others, does the splash ever fight back or have a staredown, jump up at the blue.

Never. Both the white and splash always run away from the blue one when it starts chasing them.

I'm guessing you have one hen and maybe two roos.

I would hope not! That would be depressing [​IMG]

Thanks for the reply anyway! [​IMG]

That's a good sign that they aren't standing up to him. Two roos will try to establish who's the boss. It is hilarious to see two very young chicks do the staredown.
    Good, hopefully you do have two hen then. Do you have a picture of the white ones crest?

I had a beautiful white silkie that I swear was a hen. Then one day heard a crow coming from the pen !!! It was the prettiest white roo I ever saw !!! They can really fool ya right up until they either crow or lay an egg !!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by