Silkie Q&A

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chicken-Man, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Chicken-Man

Chicken-Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    your head.... ~(*.*)~
    Hello,
    I have started this post because I find many questions about silkies. and Many question about them keeping me awake and curiouse myself. so my first question about silkies is:
    When do they start to lay?? I have heard so many different times. some say 9 months others say 5 and I have even hear 12. I just don't know. but silkie hen lay her first egg today and I am trying to find an approximate age of her. so. when do silkies start to lay??

2. Patsonline

Patsonline Out Of The Brooder

How long is a piece of string? It all depends on how you are feeding her and the weather conditions and time of year, it can vary so much when a hen will begin to lay her first egg. I found that with my silkies when i had a spring hatch they would usually lay after 24 weeks, these are free range birds with unlimited access to grass, and had a good supply of initial chick pellets followed by growers pellets.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Lots of threads here on BYC on when Silkies lay. I don't keep them, so I can't give you any exact advice. But here is a link to a long thread on the same question. Maybe it will give you some insight as to how old your bird is. However, since many factors can cause a bird to lay later in life than the average laying month, this may not be accurate enough...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/224462/at-what-age-do-silkies-start-to-lay

Good luck in figuring all this out and enjoy BYC!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Silkies have been bred for 'pretty'. Egg production has not been a selection criteria in their breeding. Feed, environment, day length , etc all factors affecting the onset of egg laying. There is a wide variation in egg laying depending upon the particular family/strain of silky. The range of from 5 months to 12 + for egg laying onset is probably not unrealistic.

5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Lots of silkie threads on BYC, put "Silkie thread," in the search box and they should pop up. Silkie breeders can probably give you the best advice. But, you will find a lot of them cannot make any firm rules about them. Silkies are very hard to sex before 5 mos. or so, the best way to tell is when they crow or lay eggs

8. Patsonline

Patsonline Out Of The Brooder

And other than being 'pretty' birds ... i would breed them for being excellent sitters.

9. Chicken-Man

Chicken-Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    your head.... ~(*.*)~
    [​IMG]!!! yeah they are great mothers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by